Monday, June 27, 2011
First they came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time, there was no one left to speak up. Pastor Martin Niemoller
June 27, 2011
BBC World Service
Claire here with the 12/1300gmt edition of Newshour. We're looking in detail at the big trial of former Khmer Rouge leaders in Cambodia. We'll hear from a victim of the regime and from someone who's befriended one of the defendents. Will this trial, described as a "second Nuremberg" answer crucial questions about why the Khmer Rouge did what they did - killing millions in their radical push for agrarian reform.
THERE CAN BE NO PEACE WITHOUT JUSTICE
Sunday, June 26, 2011
- ▼ June (39)
- BUILDING CAMELOT ONE ESSAY AT A TIME
- SSSHHH ! DON'T TELL ANYONE ! JUSTICE IS DEAD IN MONTREAL ...
- WHO IS RESPONSIBLE ? WHO IS UGLY ?
- HARD TMES
- MRS. CARTER'S RIGHTS WERE VIOLATED THREE TIMES - MARLENE JENNINGS...
- THE BOOK OF NEGROES
- DON'T CHANGE THAT STREET NAME
- ABOUT THAT DISQUIETING WORD "NEGRO" - TO AUTHOR LAWRENCE HILL...
- ARTICLES ON TOBACCO
- TO THOSE WHO ARE AWAKE - GREENPEACE AND FRIENDS
- BUILDING CAMELOT ONE ESSAY AT A TIME
- GO FOR IT - ANYWAY
- FOREST FIRES - THIS CALLS FOR A CARTOON ?
- OH ! MY HEART BELONGS TO DADDY !
- EVIDENCE THAT DEMANDS A VERDICT - MONTREAL POLICE ...
- SMOKING - CALL ME JEREMIAH
- MY PRAYER
- THE VANCOUVER RIOT - THE LATEST WEAPON
- WOMAN DRIVER ?
- RIOTS, VANDALISM, DRUNKENNESS AND DESTRUCTION
- CBC DAYBREAK DOESN'T WANT TO KNOW - BUT
- MEMORIES AROUND PARK AVENUE, MONTREAL - 1940's and.1950's..
- 75 YEAR OLD MONTREAL JOURNALIST BUYS A USED CAR -EPISODE TWO
- 75 YEAR OLD MONTREAL JOURNALIST BUYS A USED CAR -
- WHY STEPHEN HARPER DOES NOT ACT AGAINST CRIME
- DEALING WITH ADVERSITY
- HEAVEN AND DOGMA - JUST ANOTHER COINCIDENCE
- HEAVEN AND DOGMA
- MAGIC TOM AUBURN
- I WAS AN AGENT FOR UNDERDOG - PEACEFUL PROTEST IN PARLIAMENT...
- HARPER'S FOLLIES - THE MUSICAL
- TRACKING CHIPS IN OUR FOOD ?
- CLIFF CARTER'S STOLEN BADGE - NEW JERSEY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT...
- CANADA'S INJUSTICE SYSTEM
- MY MISSION
- OUR GOVERNMENT
- THE POWER OF PRAYER
- ▼ May (17)
- MONTREAL POLICE HELPING CRIMINALS - SO, ARREST ME ! ..
- THE MUD PUDDLE OF DEMOCRACY
- WATCH GENOCIDE WITH YOUR OWN EYES !
- THE MIDDLE EAST CONFLICT - JUST FOR FUN
- I AM
- EARTH'S ATMOSPHERE IS PAPER THIN - ASTRONAUT
- WORDS TO THE WISE
- I REMEMBER PINOCCHIO
- CRIME IS NOT IN OUR JURISDICTION - CANADA'S GANG JUSTICE...
- THERE IS NO HEAVEN - STEPHEN HAWKING
- BITCH, PIG, COW !
- SLAYING DRAGONS
- BURN ASBESTOS !
- ONE FOR THREE THOUSAND
- THUMBING CANADA'S COLLECTIVE NOSE
- DRIP - DRIP - DRIP - THE WORLD IS WATCHING
- JUSTICE IS NOT IN OUR JURISDICTION - THE COMMON COP-OUT...
- SWIMMING AGAINST THE TIDE
- NOT VOTING IS A TRULY HONOURABLE VOTE
- VICTIMS' WITNESSES
- BASIC TRAINING FOR ASPIRING THIEVES
- BUT YOU CAN'T DO THAT ! JUST WATCH ME -
- BRAVO TO THE REVOLUTIONARY ! YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE CHRISTIAN..
- ARCHIVE INDEX PART SEVEN
- MON NON EST QUEBECOIS - ARTICLES ABOUT QUEBEC
- WHAT THE CANDIDATES HAVE DONE AND NOT DONE
- A GATHERING OF THE CANADIAN CLANS IS CALLED FOR
- UNCLE SAM FELDMAN HAS DIED - METROPOLITAN NEWS AGENCY...
- UNCLE SAM AND THE BESWICK HORSE
- IDOL WORSHIP IN THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY
- MY KNIGHTS ARE FOR FIGHTING
- ALONG THE ROAD TO CAMELOT - KNIGHTS, NOBLES AND KNAVES...
- A PORTRAIT OF ASGAR AND THE PLIGHT OF KASHMIR
- A MAN LIKE GANDHI AND THE BROKEN PROMISES
- THE TRUTH ABOUT QUEBEC
- NUCLEAR ENERGY
- ARCHIVE INDEX PART SIX
- WHAT IS REALLY DECIMATING SEA TURTLES ?
- A WORLD-WIDE AUDIENCE
- I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S TRUE - BUT IT'S LOVELY
- HERE'S THE STORY
- SPLIT VOTE - FEAR MONGERING
- VOTING CAN BE A COP-OUT - WHY BOTHER TO THINK.?
- NO VOTE IS A NO VOTE.- ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY...
- MISSING CLIFF FOR NINETEEN YEARS
- SOME OF MY ARTICLES ON POLICE AND COURTS
- SOME OF MY ARTICLES ON HEALTH CARE
- JUSTICE IS NOT EVEN MENTIONED IN THE FEDERAL ELECTON CAMPAIGN...
- HAS ANYONE NOTICED ? THE WORLD IS ROUND !
- TO MY READERS AROUND THE WORLD
- REMEMBERING MY FATHER, GEORGE RUBIN
- ▼ March (14)
- TO MY READERS AROUND THE WORLD - YOU HAVE THE POWER...
- HOT CARS
- FOLLOW THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD ?
- FRIENDS REFUSE TO LEAVE SENDAI - HIDE UNDER THE DESK...
- THE ABUSE OF PRAYER - LET GOD DO IT
- ARCHIVE INDEX PART FIVE - MARCH, 2011
- THE PROPHECY OF HABAKKUK - SIGNS IN THE SKY .
- JAPAN, 2011 - CALL ME JEREMIAH !
- CHERNOBYL AND SENDAI - WHEN WILL WE LEARN ?
- SEEKING FRIENDS IN SENDAI, JAPAN - NOZOMI CHIBA
- DO NOT TRUST STUDENTS - BE CAUTIOUS WITH JOURNALISTS ...
- MORE THAN TEN THOUSAND PAGE VIEWS IN TEN MONTHS
- ARCHIVE INDEX PART FOUR
- METROPOLITAN NEWS AGENCY - AT THE CROSSROADS OF THE NATION...
Saturday, June 25, 2011
Eye of the beholder?
Friday, June 24, 2011
Thursday, June 23, 2011
"Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings."
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
Lawrence Hill is the son of American immigrants — a black father and a white mother — who came to Canada the day after they married in 1953 in Washington, D.C. On his father's side, Hill's grandfather and great grandfather were university-educated, ordained ministers of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. His mother came from a Republican family in Oak Park, Illinois, graduated from Oberlin College and went on to become a civil rights activist in D.C. The story of how they met, married, left the United States and raised a family in Toronto is described in Hill's bestselling memoir Black Berry, Sweet Juice: On Being Black and White in Canada (HarperCollins Canada, 2001). Growing up in the predominantly white suburb of Don Mills, Ontario in the sixties, Hill was greatly influenced by his parents' work in the human rights movement. Much of Hill's writing touches on issues of identity and belonging.
Lawrence Hill's third novel was published as The Book of Negroes in Canada and the UK, and as Someone Knows My Name in the USA, Australiaand New Zealand. It won the overall Commonwealth Writers' Prize for Best Book, the Rogers Writers' Trust Fiction Prize, the Ontario Library Association's Evergreen Award and CBC Radio's Canada Reads. The book was a finalist for the Hurston/Wright LEGACY Award and longlisted for both the Giller Prize and the IMPAC Award.
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Sunday, June 19, 2011
Saturday, June 18, 2011
Friday, June 17, 2011
Thursday, June 16, 2011
RIOTS, VANDALISM, DRUNKENNESS AND DESTRUCTION: When ever, where ever there is an opportunity to cause misery, there are always fools and villains who will do so. Why? Because there are no consequences.
Pardon (from Zimbabwe) - Sometimes those who do riots are not fools or villains, but victims who could not find justice in the courts of "justice", or may be courts of "injustice".