Tuesday, September 15, 2015

WE'RE ON THE EVE OF DESTRUCTION - FOLK SINGERS SAW IT COMING


The eastern world it is explodin', violence flarin',
 bullets loadin'
You're old enough to kill but not for votin' 
You don't believe in war, what's that gun you're totin'?
And even the Jordan river has bodies floatin'

But you tell me over and over and over again, my friend
Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction

Don't you understand what I'm trying to say?
Can't you feel the fears that I'm feeling today?
If the button is pushed, there's no running away
There'll be no one to save with the world in a grave
Take a look around you, boy, it's bound to scare you, boy

And you tell me over and over and over again, my friend
Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction

Yeah, my blood's so mad, feels like coagulatin'
I'm sittin' here, just contemplatin'
I can't twist the truth, it knows no regulation
Handful of Senators don't pass legislation
And marches alone can't bring integration
When human respect is disintegratin'
This whole crazy world is just too frustratin'

And you tell me over and over and over again my friend
Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction

Think of all the hate there is in Red China
Then take a look around to Selma, Alabama
Ah, you may leave here, for four days in space
But when your return, it's the same old place
The poundin' of the drums, the pride and disgrace
You can bury your dead but don't leave a trace
Hate your next-door-neighbor but don't forget to say grace

And you tell me over and over and over and over again my friend
You don't believe we're on the eve of destruction

You don't believe we're on the eve of destruction

Songwriters
Steve Barri;Phil Sloan
Published by
AMERICAN BROADCASTING MUSIC INC

MetroLyrics 

No comments: