Monday, March 9, 2015

METROPOLITAN NEWS - UNCLE SAM - CYPRESS STREET - FACEBOOK - 3.9.15

FACEBOOK
March 9, 2015


This one's for Phyllis...Im sure she's seen it many times before!

  • Phyllis Carter Michael, Thank you so much for posting this picture of my family's store. I have seen it before, but it warms my heart to see it and to know that others can see it too. I grew up by my father's side at Metopolitan News and I have published many stories about it at http://phylliscartersjournal.blogspot.com
    1 hr · Like · 2
  • Michael Kliamenakis I used to go in there all the time when I was downtown.
    1 hr · Unlike · 1
  • Manoli Papadakis I've spent some cash there and was in the store when it moved around the corner on the side. A great piece of a Montreal long gone AND a time when people READ actual copies of papers and magazines.
  • Phyllis Carter My Uncle Sam started working at Metropolitan News for the Manella brothers when he was eight years old. In 1947, he bought out Charlie Manella's last share and he brought my father, George Rubin, and almost every member of our family into the business. I was eleven years old when I started working there after school. I worked by my father's side for decades. In the mid-1980's the rent at 1248 Peel Street went through the roof and Sam moved the business to nearby Cypress street where he owned a small building, just facing the side of the Windsor Hotel, across from Dominion Square. He asked me to come back to work but I couldn't do it. So Sam carried on the business on Cypress, virtually alone, until he was in his 90's. Moving from Peel Street was tragic. It was a slow death for Metropolitan News after that. But Sam carried on as long as he could. I have written about Metropolitan News extensively athttp://phylliscartersjournal.blogspot.com
    PHYLLISCARTERSJOURNAL.BLOGSPOT.COM|BY PHYLLIS CARTER

No comments: