Sunday, March 13, 2016

BULLIES MUST BE STOPPED ONE WAY OR ANOTHER


I have a particular relationship to bullies. When I was a kid – and a very short one at that – older boys used to threaten me, and sometimes beat me up. Occasionally I was protected from the bullies by kinder older boys, like Mickey Schwerner. Years later, in the summer of 1964, Mickey was trying to register voters in Mississippi when he and two other civil rights workers, Andrew Goodman and James Earl Chaney, were abducted, tortured, murdered, and buried in an earthen dam by members of the local White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, the Neshoba County Sheriff's Office, and the Philadelphia, Mississippi Police Department.
When I heard that the young man who had protected me from my bullies had himself been killed by truly monstrous bullies, my life forever changed.
Donald Trump is a bully who's stirring up other bullies to rage against Latinos, blacks, Muslims, and other convenient scapegoats – channeling the fears and resentments of the white working class into hatefulness and violence. He deserves to be condemned by every decent American.

No comments: