Thursday, September 22, 2011

75 YEAR OLD MONTREAL JOURNALIST BUYS A USED CAR - DGB AUTO

 

 
This is the fourth episode of my adventure in buying a used car. The reader will find the whole story in detailed reports at the blog addresses below.
 
I purchased the car at DGB Auto at 6965 St. Jacques West in Montreal on Saturday, April 30, 2011.
 
After trying to get DGB Auto to make essential repairs all summer long - with the car at DGB for days at a time - only to find that the repairs were still not done - I finally gave up this week and took the car into a long-established garage operated for decades by Joe and Ralph and their sons, Emilio and Adriano Colafabio at 4810 Walkley Avenue, Montreal.
 
The total cost for parts and labour was $623,22.
 
To replace the exterior door handle on the driver's side. The door could not be opened from the outside. And to repair the inner bracket which had been broken during several failed attempts by DGB - and left broken.
 
It was a frustrating ordeal to try to get into the low-slung car without being able to open the driver's door. I have had to perform ridiculous acrobatics to get in from the passenger's seat, over the gear box. As a handicapped person, it took a lot of determination to ignore my discomfort and overcome my limitations in order to be able to use the car until I could get the door handle fixed.
 
The dealer, Mike, kept promising again and again and again, that he would fix the door handle. He vowed he had made it his "personal challenge" to get it done right.  But he never did. I went out of my comfort zone time after time to be patient because Mike and his wife Homa are such pleasant people and Mike suffers from back pain, as do I.
 
Acrid fumes coming into the car were caused by a bad muffler which had to be replaced, along with an exhaust gasket and cabin air filter so I would not expire at the wheel.
 
A few light bulbs also had to be replaced in the dashboard so I will be able to see the instrument array.
 
And so, it appears, that after spending my whole summer chasing after DGB Auto to make these essential repairs, my car should now be safe to operate.
 
And thus endeth the lesson - I hope.
 

75 YEAR OLD MONTREAL JOURNALIST BUYS A USED CAR

http://phylliscartersjournal.blogspot.com/2011/06/75-year-old-montreal-journalist-buys_9737.html

75 YEAR OLD MONTREAL JOURNALIST BUYS A USED CAR - EPISODE TWO

http://phylliscartersjournal.blogspot.com/2011/06/75-year-old-montreal-journalist-buys_8812.html

75 YEAR OLD JOURNALIST BUYS A USED CAR - DGB AUTO - EPISODE THREE

http://phylliscartersjournal.blogspot.com/2011/08/75-year-old-journalist-buys-used-car.html

 

7 comments:

21st Century said...

Thanks for the review. i thought the place looked a bit shady; now I know it is! Also, I'll check out the mechanics you ended up using.

Unknown said...

Awesome Blog ! looking for advertising for your business?Current advertising promotions with Used Cars Toronto, Used Cars Montreal, Used cars Ottawa.and great deals online.

Used Cars Ottawa

Montreal dealer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Montreal dealer said...

Thanks for publishing about that . There's a bunch of valuable data on the web. You've got a lot of that info right here on your web site. I'm impressed - I try to retain a newlyweds blogs somewhat ongoing, but it can be difficult at occasions. You've carried out a big job with that one. I can have to go to your weblog yet again very quickly.
used cars montreal

Phyllis Carter said...

I apologize for taking so long to respond to my readers here. I want to thank you all for taking the time to write. It may be simple for most people to shop for a car, used or otherwise, but when you are older and handicapped - and a woman - it is really very hard to do.

Phyllis Carter said...

See EPISODE FIVE - GIVE ME A BRAKE
http://phylliscartersjournal.blogspot.com/2011/12/give-me-brake-dgb-auto-used-cars_23.html

Unknown said...

Car buying process is very simple. While purchasing new car if you take car loan it will be more beneficial instead of paying full cash in one go.
Car Loans