Sunday, February 22, 2015

THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON - THE TRUTH ABOUT TRUTH


The first thing that must be said about truth is that it is a rarity and rarely used. The world of the 20th and 21st centuries to which I am witness is built on lies. 

Almost everyone lies some of the time, and those who hold positions of power lie routinely, and more so about matters of real importance. I need not elaborate on this because almost everyone knows this to be true and almost everyone accepts this as normal. 

I grew up surrounded by white lies and lies of convenience and lies of self defence and lies told to distract or amuse and lies that were told for no good reason at all. 

It took half a century and a vicious crime against my family aided and abetted by the Montreal Police for me to come to a point where I could no longer bear to hear or speak a lie. 

Here are some of the things I have learned about truth: You can deny it, suppress it, distort it, try to discredit it, try to shame or intimidate or silence the one who tells it. You can hide it under a pile of lies and deceptions. You can find associates who will help you smother it or heap dirt or ridicule on it. You can shove it under a bushel basket and sit on it. But the truth about truth is that it is always true. And it will shine through. 

The truth about truth is that it is the most powerful weapon in the universe and all villains are afraid of it.

It is not slander or libel to tell the truth, but respected people have told me that it is not always necessary to tell the truth. I can't help it. I have to tell the truth anyway.

No comments: