Sunday, November 17, 2013

GERRY RAQUER AT METROPOLITAN NEWS, 1248 PEEL STREET, MONTREAL - CIRCA 1950

 
 
My friend for decades,
Gerry Raquer,
 Was employed for 15 years
At my family's international newspaper store,
Metropolitan News Agency in the heart of Montreal.
He just sent me these precious photos.
 
 
 
This was a typical Sunday morning.
You can see the stacks of
The Sunday New York Times,
The Sunday New York Herald Tribune,
The Saturday Montreal Standard,
And the Saturday Montreal Star.
 
The neon signs would have been new :
The original sign above Metro News read,
Metropolitan News Agency,
Newspapers from all over the world,
1248 Peel Street.
 
One sign reads "Print your name in headlines"
I printed hundreds of them for tourists
When I was a young girl.
Our little souvenir newspaper was called -
"Le Petit Paris de Montreal."
 
Phyllis Carter
 

No comments: