Wednesday, January 25, 2012

UPDATE - BEST BUY CANADA - HP MONITOR REPLACING SAMSUNG

 
To Best Buy Canada.
 
January 25, 2012
 
Hello Shannon,
 
Best Buy technician Pierre-Luc brought the replacement monitor yesterday. I was able to disassemble and repackage the Hungarian Samsung monitor and set up this new HP monitor on my own. But I was not able to program it, so I asked Pierre-Luc to come in and do it.
 
Pierre-Luc was very patient and pleasant. He worked at it diligently. I want to commend him. But there are still problems.
 
My original HP monitor  purchased with my computer at Best Buy Pointe Claire in July 2006 - 17 inch - HPVS17e - served me very well until it just stopped on January 7, 2012. I had no problems with that monitor. Best Buy Geek said it just burned out. As we all do with age.
 
That was when my troubles began. The Samsung sold to me at Best Buy spoke only Hungarian, and my reports explain what happened.
 
This new HP Monitor still presents the following problems.
 
1. Pierre-Luc did everything he could to make the adjustments, but when the fonts and icons appear a normal size on Facebook, they appear huge on my blogs and emails.
 
When readjusted, normal fonts on my blogs give teensy little 8 font texts on Facebook.
 
The icons on my desktop are minuscule where, before, they were huge.
 
There seems to be no way to get all things together in normal sizes.
 
Here is how we do it. Right click on Properties. Settings. General.
 
The graph offers a sliding scale for screen resolution - From Less to More pixels.
 
I usually use a 12 or 14 font which is comfortably legible for me.
 
When set at 800 X 600 - we get huge fonts on my blogs - perhaps 18 font for the text of a blog article.
 
When set at 1024 X 768 - in the middle of the sliding scale- the reverse is true.
 
The problem is that the set up does not allow for anything in between. 
 
So what we get is either huge text or tiny text - and teensy little icons - on the desktop for example.
 
2. Another problem - which I did not identify until this morning - is that the screen is supposed to be able to tip to provide a clear image. I have not been able to move it and I don't want to force it and risk damage. I did look at the instructions on the CD guide, but the print (pdf) is so tiny I can barely see it. I finally made out some of it by using a magnifying glass in one hand while operating the mouse with the other.
 
3. And here is something that makes no sense. The CD - in English, thank goodness - tells you how to set up the monitor. It makes no sense at all. If you have not already set up the monitor, you could not be reading the CD instructions on how to set up the monitor. The elimination of a printed guide is idiotic.
 
That is the picture at this moment.
 
I notice one more thing this morning -There are three tiny lights on the top right hand side of my Compaq keyboard - 1., A., and the last one, on the right, shows a down arrow.
 
Suddenly the first little light - 1 - that indicates when the keyboard is on - is not working for the first time. The light for capitals lights up, but not the first light. Everything else seems to be normal.
 
Phyllis Carter
 
 

No comments: