Tuesday, March 13, 2018

EVEN THE POOR HAVE TO EAT - JEWISH GENERAL HOSPITAL


It isn't only third world countries that have hungry people. At the Jewish General Hospital in Montreal, patients, visitors and staff members also get hungry.

There is a new food court intended to replace the long established cafeteria where we enjoyed tasty homestyle food at relatively reasonable prices for decades. But the cafeteria has been replaced by Second Cup outlets and other food counters.

Okay. That's nice. We like variety. But wait. Why does a small tuna fish sandwich cost $8.40? It isn't caviar - just tuna, mayonnaise and bread.

And why can't we get a small cup of coffee? Second Cup's coffees are tasty, but the smallest cup contains twice as much coffee as I can drink and that means half my money goes into the garbage can. Why can't I get a small cup of coffee for a reasonable price at Second Cup? I hate waste.

Hospital employees have asked me to state their case. As a patient, I spend a lot of time in hospital and I can't carry my bags plus a meal and ice packs with me. But it is worse for the employees who are there day and night and must either bring food for the hours they are working or pay such exorbitant prices for food. 

It isn't right.

Note also that the boutiques that sell antiques and scarves, purses etc. offer lovely things - only for the rich. A pretty scarf costs $40.00. Garments run close to a hundred dollars. I would like to buy scarves for some of my nurses, but I would go bankrupt.

Can't the volunteer ladies find nice items ordinary people can afford?

We have enough to deal with in hospital without feeling drained of every dollar.


1 comment:

Phyllis Carter said...

IT DOESN'T SEEM RIGHT: WHEN I WAS A KID, I COULD BUY AN EXCELLENT APPLE PIE FOR 35 CENTS AND A DELICIOUS CAKE WITH MOCHA OR CHOCOLATE ICING FOR 85 CENTS AT WOOLWORTH'S IN DOWNTOWN MONTREAL. TODAY, I BOUGHT 2 APPLE TURNOVERS, ONE DANISH AND A BISCOTTI AT SECOND CUP IN THE JEWISH GENERAL HOSPITAL. IT COST ME ALMOST $13.00! ONE APPLE TURNOVER COSTS ALMOST $4.00. IT DOESN'T SEEM RIGHT, AND IT WILL BE A WHILE UNTIL I DO IT AGAIN.