Sunday, April 23, 2017

IN A CRUEL AND CRAZY WORLD, ONE GOOD MAN SPEAKS SIMPLE TRUTH


(image source; Facebook/Shlomoh Melech [Tim McMillan])
(image source; Facebook/Shlomoh Melech [Tim McMillan])
Tim McMillan, a police officer from New Hampshire, caught a young teen texting and driving, but it was the teen's reaction that truly upset him.
Tim shared his story on Facebook,
I pulled a car over last night for texting and driving. When I went to talk to the driver, I found a young black male, who was looking at me like he was absolutely terrified with his hands up. He said, "What do you want me to do officer?" His voice was quivering. He was genuinely scared.
I just looked at him for a moment, because what I was seeing made me sad. I said, "I just don't want you to get hurt."
In which he replied, with his voice still shaking, "Do you want me to get out of the car."
I said, "No, I don't want you to text and drive. I don't want you to get in a wreck. I want your mom to always have her baby boy. I want you to grow up and be somebody. I don't even want to write you a ticket. Just please pay attention, and put the phone down. I just don't want you to get hurt."
I truly don't even care who's fault it is that young man was so scared to have a police officer at his window. Blame the media, blame bad cops, blame protestors, or Colin Kaepernick if you want.
It doesn't matter to me who's to blame. I just wish somebody would fix it.
Tim's story immediately went viral with more than 140,000 shares. With thousands of people sending him their support, Time decided it was time to include a followup statement,
The last couple of days have been a roller coaster of emotion. I've hurt for those I care about in their time of unimaginable pain. I've been overwhelmed with the joy at being able to help a scared little kid get to his Mom, when he needed her.
Then this morning, I felt frustration and sadness at seeing a young African American kid be terrified of the uniform I was wearing. It bothered me so much, I wanted to just scream at the whole country, 'STOP IT! I LOVE MY KIDS WITH ALL… OF MY HEART AND EVERYONE IN THIS WORLD IS SOMEONES CHILD THAT THEY LOVE WITH ALL THEIR HEART!
Just treat everyone like you would want your children treated, NO MATTER what the situation is.
Everyone was thanking me for what I had said, that it so many people just wanted to hear someone say "IT'S HORRIBLE FOR PEOPLE TO BE AFRAID OF THE POLICE, and I don't even care who's at fault. It's just horrible!" I had over 100 friends request from people all over the country. And now, I don't even know what to say.
I'm not anyone special. I'm not a professional athlete, politician, or celebrity.
I'm just a regular guy, who lives paycheck to paycheck, who is so blessed to have an amazing wife and some incredible children I love with all of my heart. I'm lucky to have amazing friends, mentors, and family members in my life.
Again, I don't even know what to say. I'm just a regular person, no better than anyone else. To think that just saying how the situation in this country hurt me from a view on the front lines, could have such meaning to so many people, is so touching, I don't know how to put it in words.

No comments: