Sunday, October 12, 2014

BOY ! WAS I THIRSTY ! - ONE OF THE GREAT LESSONS MY FATHER TAUGHT ME

 
 
Even so. I go over and over my every mistake.
 
Here is the story my father told me:
 
 
Two men were trekking through the desert.
 
I don't know why they were there,
But there they were.
 
And the sun beat down on them,
Hour after hour.
 
Inevitably,
Their drinking water ran out.
 
Bill wept until he had no more tears:
"I'm so thirsty !
Boy! Am I thirsty !
Walter, I'm so thirsty !"
 
On and on.
 
His companion, Walter,
Was just as thirsty,
But not given to self expression.
His tongue felt like salt and sand.
But he didn't say much:
 
"Come on Bill,
If we stop here, We'll die."
 
So they dragged their weary legs
Up one dune and down another.
 
Bill: "Boy! Am I thirsty !"
 
The sun began to set
And the two men could barely see
Through their sticky eyelids.
Dried up like prunes.
 
Walter held Bill up,
And dragged him.
 
Bill: "Oh, Boy! I'm so thir...sty!"
 
After many hours:
 
Suddenly!
Walter:
"Look, Bill ! Palm trees !"
 
An oasis !
 
The two - overcome with hope -
Made their way to the water hole,
And fell into the cool, blue pool,
Sucking in the sweet water,
Until they fell on the sand
Exhausted and weeping.
 
And Walter said,
"Thanks God!"
 
And Bill said,
"Boy! Was I thirsty !
Boy! Was I thirsty !"
 
And into the cold desert night
Bill continued:
"Boy, Was I thirsty !"
 
And, years later,
When Bill had his grandson on his lap,
He was heard, remembering,
"Boy! Was I thirsty !"
 
And so I catch myself every day,
When I remember my mistakes,
"Boy! Was I imperfect !"
 
And I repeat out loud to myself -
With a little smile:
"Boy! Was I thirsty !"
 
And I tell myself,
"I was young, and I was human."
 
And I remember how wise my father was.
 
 

No comments: