Saturday, July 29, 2017


I woke up in a cold sweat. I was shaking. I was quite sure it was a side effect of my cancer medication. I didn't want to call an ambulance. I didn't want to go to the hospital - again. But it seemed foolish to risk a more serious problem.

I decided to call a taxi and go to the hospital cancer clinic for a blood test.

I arrived at the main lobby of the hospital at about noon, Saturday July 29, 2017.

I was not able to get a wheelchair as all the chairs were gathered behind a closed door. I managed to reach the security desk using my walker and I phoned for a porter on the telephone designated for internal calls.

Answering machine. No one here to take your call.

The security guard told me I couldn't go to the cancer clinic - where I am a patient and well known through more than 20 years of care there. He said I would have to go to Emergency.

I told him I didn't want to sit for hours in Emergency. I didn't want to take up the valuable time of doctors and nurses, and orderlies bringing me a commode, and people bringing me meals, and people filling out forms on computers. I knew the problem and I just needed a blood test.

He said,

This is not the first time I have bumped heads with this particular security guard. See detailed reports below. I am the patient. I know my case. He does not. But he tells me that I have no choice.

I waited on the bench trying to think what to do.

I went back to the phone and called the Operator. I asked to speak to the head of security. The same security guard answered. I guess he is the "head". Oh, my !

What do you do when the person who is the problem is the person in charge?

So while I sat on the bench trying to figure out where I could get help, security guards - about three men and one woman in uniform, plus another woman in a white coat, stood around the security desk laughing and talking and talking and laughing.

I managed to get back to the phone leaning on my walker. I called the Operator and asked for the Oncologist on Call. She called back promptly. I told her the problem.

She told me that the Oncology department is closed on the weekends and I should go to Emergency.

I told the security guards that I had to go to Emergency. They stood around and laughed and talked while I lay on the bench.

Finally, I called the hospital on my cell phone and asked for Emergency. I told them the problem and they sent someone to bring a wheelchair and take me to Emergency.

Once there, I was well treated. A blood test was taken. A doctor came to see me. She assured me that the results were normal for me, and I was on my way home.

$38.00 for taxis.  A lot of unnecessary aggravation. You just have to be able to endure the system, the red tape that doesn't deal with people, and the arrogance and irresponsibility of men and women given uniforms without proper training.

Years ago, I was a security guard for Pinkerton. Then I was a Pinkerton detective supervising security guards and other investigators. Many of the men who become security guards - and even investigators - would just as gladly become criminals. It is all about power over other people. The power of the uniform - and the union.

You find similar problems with some priests, police and politicians. Given unlimited power, they can cause severe suffering - and their victims have nowhere to turn because the abusers cover for each other.

No comments: