Wednesday, July 30, 2014

GAMBOLI - TONY HARPES - MONTREAL ARTIST

 
 
Does anyone have a picture or any information about Montreal artist Tony Harpes aka Gamboli? He was a fascinating man and a brilliant artist.
 
Tony drew caricatures of interesting Montrealers. He created a wonderful drawing of my husband, Cliff Carter, Mr. Nostalgia of RCA Records, while Cliff was at Biddles Jazz club in Montreal in the early 1980's. The picture appeared in the Montreal Gazette.
 
Gamboli was very well known in Montreal. His work appeared often in The Gazette, but I have not been able to find anything about him online except for a brief obituary. There was so much more to that man, and I would like to let the world know about him.

3 comments:

Mary said...

As an NDG resident I knew Tony from shopping on Sherbrooke Street and the Maison Coop Verte. A real interesting gentleman. I was sorry to hear of his passing only today from Jason at the Coop. He always had a smile and some exotic facts to add to the conversation. He is missed by many.

Mary said...

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MediainMontreal/conversations/topics/67682
Re: Tony Harpes

Linda Long said...

I am Tony, cousin Linda My sister and I have old family photos and some of his artwork. You can contact me if necessary at
Thefblongs@comcast.net. Unfortunately I live in California and my sister Louise is in the Vancouver area Good luck