Thursday, December 17, 2009

MY LIFE IS NOBODY'S JURISDICTION

 
DOCTOR JEROME STASIAK DENIED ME THE RIGHT TO LIVE
 
 
To: Dr. Yves Bolduc,
Quebec Minister of Health
 
November 30, 2009
 
Sir,
 
I have written to you about this matter in the past and received only an automated response. This is a serious matter and I am asking you to take it seriously.
 
It has been eight months since my life was put in jeopardy by Dr. Jerome Stasiak in the emergency department at the Jewish General Hospital in Montreal.
 
Chief of Staff, Dr. Joseph Portnoy's response to this abuse is totally unacceptable and the College des medecins du Quebec persists in telling me to let the Jewish General Hospital investigate itself.
 
Clearly, the hospital has no intention of taking any action and is trying to bury this case. While I am still alive, I will not allow this abuse to stand.
 
What do you intend to do about it?
 
Phyllis Carter
 
No reply received.
 
 
December 15, 2009
 
To The Quebec Human Rights Commission
 
 
I am 73 years old and a cancer patient struggling for my life and for justice. I am trying to file a formal complaint against a physician who denied me the right to live.
 
I am running into red tape and the classical run-around with the Quebec Human Rights Commission.
 
I sent you an email (see below) asking for the necessary application papers to file a complaint. I was told to download from your website. I can't do that.
 
I phoned. The person I spoke to this morning suggested that my case may not be eligible for consideration by the Quebec Human Rights Commission.
 
If I had obeyed the doctor who ordered me to go home, on April 1, 2009 I would be dead. (See my report below).
 
I point to your own website message:
 
et des droits de la jeunesse

  What are the rights and freedoms granted under the Charter?

Fundamental freedoms and rights
 
The right to life, personal security, inviolability and freedom, as well as the recognition of the legal personality of every human being [s. 1].
 
I want to file a formal complaint against Dr. Jerome Stasiak who, on April 1, 2009, in the emergency department of The Jewish General Hospital in Montreal, denied me the right to live.
 
Please send me the necessary application forms and information on how to proceed.
 
Phyllis Carter
 
 
DOCTOR DENIED ME THE RIGHT TO LIVE

Quebec Human Rights Commission  -

"Not in our jurisdiction"

December 16, 2009

This afternoon, I spoke with - Anne-Marie Laurin of the Quebec Human Rights Commission -CDPDJ.

She said that it is clear that my human rights were violated, but my case is not in the jurisdiction of the Quebec Human rights Commissions' because their mandate does not apply unless I can prove that the doctor discriminated against me.
 
I asked her in whose jurisdiction this is. She suggested I get a lawyer. I have no money for a lawyer. She referred me to the College des Medecins du Quebec who have already told me that the Jewish General Hospital should investigate itself. The Jewish General Hospital has already told me that Dr. Stasiak is sorry and he apologizes. Case closed. 
 
Rosemary Steinberg, Ombudsperson for the Jewish General Hospital has referred the case to Dr. Fred Lowy for review, but based on everything I have experienced so far, I expect the cover-up will continue.
 
Ms. Laurin then referred me to Protecteur de Citoyen de Quebec. I will try. It is survival of the most stubborn. The weak just die and are silenced forever. I am very weak but I am not dead yet.
 
But the only real solution in an unjust society is to die. There must be someone "up there" in whose jurisdiction my case will fall.
 
 
Phyllis Carter
 
 
December 17, 2009
 
I received a phone call from Martine Caouette of "Protecteur de Citoyen du Quebec." (See below for details)
 
She told me that this case is not in their jurisdiction. 
Ms. Caouette told me to go back to the Ombudsman of the Jewish General Hospital.
She told me to go to the College des medecins de Quebec.
She told me to get a lawyer.
 
In a nutshell, my life is in nobody's jurisdiction.
 
It would have been so much easier for everyone if I had obeyed Dr. Jerome Stasiak and died.
 
Phyllis Carter
 
 

Monday, October 26, 2009

DR. JEROME STASIAK

DOCTORS ARE BURYING THEIR MISTAKES !

I have a shocking story to tell about what happened to me, a patient, at The Jewish General Hospital in Montreal.

Early in the morning of April 1st, 2009, in the emergency department of the Jewish General Hospital in Montreal, Dr. Jerome Stasiak, emergency room doctor, came to me and, without a word of warning, he grabbed me by my arm and my hand and started running around the emergency department dragging me along with him like a bag of garbage.

He kept running, dragging me along in spite of my pleas to let me go and in spite of the fact that I was stumbling and hanging by my arm. Dr. Stasiak did this run three times around the emergency department, pulling me - stopping only to have a nurse test my oxygenation and then hauling me off again, dragging me almost on my knees.

After the third time, Dr. Stasiak dismissed me saying there was nothing wrong with me. Then he ordered me to get dressed and he told me that I must get in a wheelchair and I would be pushed out to a taxi right away.

All this humiliating, frightening brutality was done in the presence of dozens of patients, nurses, doctors and staff. No one protested. Some seemed amused. Even Dr. Alex Guttman whom I have known for decades did nothing to stop him. It was bizarre, a nightmare ! I was so sick.

I refused to get into a wheelchair. I dressed and managed with great difficulty to make my way to the Oncology. Department. My oncologist, Dr. Francois Patenaude, immediately ordered tests and found that my blood calcium was dangerously high and I was so dehydrated that I was on saline drip and nutrients for days. I have since been diagnosed with bone cancer and spent weeks in hospital. Dr. Patenaude saved my life.

Dr. Stasiak put my life in real danger. He treated me like an animal in front of many witnesses. If I had succumbed to his orders and gone home that day, I would be dead now.

How many people are so awed by doctors that they don't tell ?

How many patients never live to tell?

In a letter dated October 8, 2009, Dr. Joseph Portnoy, Chief of Staff of the JGH, wrote that Dr. Stasiak "offers his sincere apology and wishes you well."

Case closed.

In September, 2009, I filed a formal complaint with the College des medecins du Quebec.

In a letter dated November 5, 2009, Dr. Steven Lapointe writing for the College advises me to let the Jewish General Hospital do their own investigation.

What investigation ? I see nothing but a polite cover up.

Who really protects patients in Montreal ? Anyone ?

I will pursue this until appropriate action is taken.

As it happens, I learned that the family of another patient, Mrs. Kadech, were witness to what Dr. Stasiak did. They were shocked and they told Dr. Patenaude what they had seen.

I also learned that another patient in my room, a man named Mr. Marsella, also had a misdiagnosis in the emergency department of the Jewish General Hospital and he too was sent home. His family took him for an MRI in a private clinic - about $900.00 - so only the rich can survive. Sadly, Mr. Marsella died this summer.

Phyllis Carter

No comments: