Thursday, September 27, 2018

TRAINED TO LIE: "WHO ME, SIR? OH, NO, NOT ME, SIR..."


In the movie, Heartbeat - (1946, Ginger Rogers Adolphe Menjou, Basil Rathbone), we learn about professional training on how to be a successful liar and a thief.

In Paris, a troubled but charming young runaway, Arlette Lafron (Ginger Rogers), trains as a pickpocket under the tutelage of Professor Aristide (Basil Rathbone), who runs an academy for street thieves.

On her first assignment, Arlette is caught attempting to lift a tie pin from an ambassador (Adolphe Menjou), who blackmails her into stealing an expensive watch from a handsome diplomat, Pierre de Roche (Jean-Pierre Aumont). He brings her to Professor Aristide where the novices are taught the fine art of lying. They are carefully coached:

"Who, me sir? Not me, sir. I wasn't even there, sir. It must be someone else, sir."

In real life, Donald Trump was coached by Roy Cohn.

ALWAYS DENY, DIVERT, NEVER CONFESS, ALWAYS LIE.

Not me, sir. She must be confused. It must have been three other guys who happen to look like me. I wasn't even there, sir. I was on my knees in church ... 


No comments: