Wednesday, November 28, 2018

BEWARE OF PHONY FOLKS OF FAITH -


I am a Jew. All my ancestors - to the best of my knowledge - were Jews.  Many years ago, I became a born-again Christian. I was baptized with holy water in the Anglican Church and anointed with oil. I will always be a Jew and a Christian. It is my heritage which I honour, and my free choice for my own reasons. Another story.

I studied the bible - Olde and New - day and night for a decade. You would find me in my church two or three times a week, often all alone at sunset. I participated in bible studies, seminars, discussion groups. I was at home in my church.

I joined The Order of St. Luke the Physician. I was inducted into the order. I taught others. I was moved heart and soul to help. It was a deeply spiritual experience. 

I prayed alongside the priests. I laid hands on the sick, prayed for them to be healed. And I sneaked in some unauthorized advice such as - "Ask your doctor about this" - which outraged one or two of the deeply indoctrinated members.

I prepared the altar for services with reverence. One of the two ministers I adore became a bishop. The other was also close to be chosen. Good people. Good Christians. Good friends.

When my annual membership fees in the OSL came due, I didn't have $25.00. I was living on welfare, widowed unemployed, often homeless and sick. I offered $10.00. (Actually The Order of St. Luke did absolutely nothing that I know of.) 

The Order of St. Luke the Physician refused to renew my membership for less that $25.00. I could have "found" $25.00. I could have asked friends or my minister for $25.00, but I would not - on principal. (I have endangered my life on principal on occasion. My middle name is STUBBORN.)

And so I am no longer a member of OSL. I am not authorized by the OSL to lay hands on the sick or to pray alongside priests. I am $15.00 short of kosher. But if you meet me and tell me your troubles, you can bet I'll go home and think about you and pray that justice and healing bless your life. And it won't cost you one cent.

1 comment:

Noel Adams said...

Thank you for this post. Please pray for our(my husbands and mine)justice and healing and we will pray for yours. Take care.